Weekly News via Email
   Set as homepage | Add to favorites | Customer Service | Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us | Sitemap Friday, 11.03.2006
Classifieds
Online Extras
Site Services
Around Bend
Outdoor Fun
Travel Info
Shop Local

Members Of

Bend Weekly Community Forums
Welcome to BendWeekly.com Discussion Board. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the "FAQ" by clicking the link below. You may have to register before you can post: click the "register" link below to proceed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The real danger of Bush and his beliefs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bend Weekly Community Forums Forum Index -> Rants & Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bendover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: The real danger of Bush and his beliefs Reply with quote

If you think about this, it is scary. Sounds like something out of China.

The Washington Post
The Politics of Science
Thursday, February 9, 2006; Page A22

IT IS A RARE thing for the biography of a 24-year-old NASA spokesman to attract the attention of the national media. But that is what happened this week when George C. Deutsch tendered his resignation. Mr. Deutsch had, it emerged, lied about his (nonexistent) undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University. Far more important, several New York Times articles over the past week or so have exposed Mr. Deutsch as one of several White House-appointed public affairs officers at the agency who tried to prevent senior NASA career scientists from speaking and writing freely, especially when their views on the realities of climate change differed from those of the White House.

Mr. Deutsch prevented reporters from interviewing James E. Hansen, the leading climate scientist at NASA, telling colleagues he was doing so because his job was to "make the president look good." Mr. Deutsch also instructed another NASA scientist to add the word "theory" after every written mention of the Big Bang, on the grounds that the accepted scientific explanation of the origins of the universe "is an opinion" and that NASA should not discount the possibility of "intelligent design by a creator."

The spectacle of a young political appointee with no college degree exerting crude political control over senior government scientists and civil servants with many decades of experience is deeply disturbing. More disturbing is the fact that Mr. Deutsch's attempts to manipulate science and scientists, although unusually blatant, were not unique. Just before Christmas, the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued "talking points" to local environmental agencies. These suggestions were intended to help their spokesmen play down an Associated Press story that -- using the EPA's own data -- showed that impoverished neighborhoods had higher levels of air pollution.

At the Food and Drug Administration, the director of the Office of Women's Health recently resigned because she believed that the administration was twisting science to stall approval of over-the-counter emergency contraception. Off the record -- because they fear losing their jobs -- some scientists at the Department of Health and Human Services say that Bush administration public affairs officers screen their appearances and utterances more carefully than anyone ever did. Scientists at places such as the Agriculture Department, not a part of the government known for its publicity hounds, have made the same claim.

In every administration there will be spokesmen and public affairs officers who try to spin the news to make the president look good. But this administration is trying to spin scientific data and muzzle scientists toward that end. NASA's Mr. Hansen was right when he told the Times that Mr. Deutsch was only a bit player. "The problem is much broader and much deeper and it goes across agencies," he said. We agree.
Righty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey "Bend Over", watch out or the SS will be paying you a visit.
Rickless One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey!
how dare you! The bush administration is NOTHING like the SS, and you have NOTHING to fear from the Bush family, or from anyone in his cabinet.

Righty wrote:
hey bendover, watch out or the SS will be paying you a visit.
Robert Dixon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://conways.nationalreview.com/archives/091163.asp Anything this lady writes is worth your time. Key finding, Republicans disapprove of Bush more so than do Democrats. Interesting.
bendover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on which Republicans you mean. There are Republicans, then there is the motley crew of neocons, theocracy supporters, etc. who wear the cloak of Republicans. I think what is happening is that the real Republicans are waking up to the fact that the fundamentalist Republicans have hijacked the party.
kahdang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: The real danger of Bush and his beliefs Reply with quote

bendover wrote:
If you think about this, it is scary. Sounds like something out of China.

..... General Franks, in 2003, issued a general warning to enjoy our remaining days of freedoms because 'when' a WMD is unleashed in America it could sign the end to our 200 year national experiment with Freedom and Liberty.

..... When / If our Constitution is replaced with Martial Law may seem far more 'scary' of a concern for many, than the past polite requests for mere cooperation with administration policy.

..... To research further ;
..... ( a. ) http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/11/20/185048.shtml
..... ( b. ) http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html

..... In the meantime, ... Enjoy these remaining days.
evelio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: doubts that a plane hit the pentagon? Reply with quote

I rec'd an email today that puts doubts that a plane hit the pentagon? Have any of you seen that? Kinda made me wonder - but then, people can come up with some crazy ideas sometimes so who knows......
evelio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Hello? Reply with quote

Anyone care to reply? Or, have I posted in a wrong forum?
dirty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: impatient for the coming of christ Reply with quote

I cannot wait until apocalypse. When god takes his faithful followers up to heaven and leaves the rest of us to trials and tribulations. Good riddance to all you hateful bible thumpers. What makes you people think that you can tell another person what is right, just, moral, sin or a hell worthy trespass. God doesn't work through you. Besides your belief is based on a highly distorted, semi coherent ramblings of a human that was most likely highly charismatic and completely nuts.
Rickl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: doubts that a plane hit the pentagon? Reply with quote

evelio wrote:
I rec'd an email today that puts doubts that a plane hit the pentagon? Have any of you seen that? Kinda made me wonder - but then, people can come up with some crazy ideas sometimes so who knows......

Don't tell me you actually believe that unparsimonious crap.

"Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there."
Sunchild

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I almost believe it. It could be a result of recently reading 'The Broker', but I find myself doubting government actions more and more every day. The entire thing could be staged and we'd be none the wiser. We know what the government wants us to know and that's it.
Peter

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like being lied to, and I don't like feeling duped, and I really don't like people not being able to speak their minds. But - I also hate to be apathetic but a lot of times I am. Think about most of the average person's work experience - you really don't know a lot of what is going on above you in the organizational structure but you can be sure that YOUR needs are not being considered in any of what is really going on up there. Unfortunately, same seems to go on in the running of this country. And I mean that regardless of what political party is in control. It is always just a different set of interests being looked out for and, for the most part, they are not yours.

You are a number at whatever company you work for unless you run it or are in enough power to affect change. You are the same to the country - a voter and mainly a number in that respect too
JoeRiley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all sounds like a movie script/plot. That said, I'd think that puts it squarely in the "conspiracy theory" column for me. I just think a lot of things are blown into some major conspiracy with motives that are not for the good of anybody but a few key players. Wait - what I just said also sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bend Weekly Community Forums Forum Index -> Rants & Raves All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: