Weekly News via Email
   Set as homepage | Add to favorites | Customer Service | Subscribe Now | Place an Ad | Contact Us | Sitemap Friday, 11.03.2006
Classifieds
Online Extras
Site Services
Around Bend
Outdoor Fun
Travel Info
Shop Local

Members Of

Bend Weekly Community Forums
Welcome to BendWeekly.com Discussion Board. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the "FAQ" by clicking the link below. You may have to register before you can post: click the "register" link below to proceed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sick of Walmart debate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bend Weekly Community Forums Forum Index -> Politics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Current

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: sick of Walmart debate Reply with quote

Is anybody else sick to death of the Walmart debate? The last 3 cities or towns I've lived in have all gone through the same 'Stop Walmart' campaigns. It seems like the well-to-do think it'll drive down the economy because the wages aren't great - but the people who are in that economic level are just happy to shop there with the lower prices. Just let nature take its course.
Lorin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: I'd like to see another Walmart in Bend - could use the job Reply with quote

I'm in high school and am starting to look for a summer job. Its not easy in Bend. I'd like to see another Walmart.
BendLine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to let 'nature takes it's course' I think, but realistically, you can't see as clearly all of the people that a Walmart is not helping too. People who will lose their jobs in nearby stores because one big company can afford to sell things at a loss, at least in the beginning. In the end, you have to ask yourself this question: Are you willing to see a large chunk of the money money in Bend go to a out of state corporation, which you will never see a return on, or would you like to keep the money in Bend, where people can reinvest it and spend it freely. Short term it's easy to say Walmart will be great, after all, it will save people money. But long term, it will just crush any hope of building up the city, as the lower class' money will essentially be thrown away. It's like paying rent instead of owning. It's not all about what Walmart does to the rest of the world, it's about what it will do locally that matters most.

It will create jobs and lose them, but would you rather see everyone in our town as unique or would you like to walk down the street and see everyone in blue Walmart uniform?
Hoff

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a firm believer that government shouldnt get involved in people's lives. This can include alot of things. If you are asking a law to be pass that would somehow hinder a walmart being built I think that is a terrible thing to do. But if the people as a whole decide they won't shop there, then why would a walmart even want to build a store? Its all about personal responisbility.
brent4745

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm going with hoff on how the government can't think for us, we have control over our actions, but I do have to admit Walmart sure treats the employees (well in certain departments) fairly well. There's a Walmart being constructed even though there's 2 Walmart stores each just 15 miles away! Not only they are building the Walmart store, but they are building it in the middle of an already overpopulated street which is always bottlenecked its ridiculous!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SamIam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: kudos to Walmart Reply with quote

Has anyone visited our local Bi-Mart lately?

Or has anyone ever shopped at one of our lovely Albertsons here in Bend?

Three words sums up my last experience. Filthy. Disgusting. Dated.

I have NO problem with Walmarts invasion of the NorthWest. THEY BRING JOBS AND A PLEASANT PLACE TO SHOP.

Bi-mart, K-Mart, Sears, Emporium, Albertsons, etc.. all sat back and did nothing to counter Walmarts aggressive marketing strategies.

If anything, kudos to Walmart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bend Weekly Community Forums Forum Index -> Politics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: